Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Gamer A.D.D.

I have bad Gamer ADD. 
Like real bad. And Rift is not helping my problem.
I like Rift. When I'm in a Rift mood, I enjoy leveling, closing Rifts, fighting off invaders and looking for artifacts. When my guildies are on and we do things together it's a lot of fun. But I'm becoming weary of certain things. Questing is quite the grind fest. I'm also several levels behind my friends, so we can't do much together. And while I switch between different specs to keep things lively, I began to wish I made a Cleric. Oh  noes! Invasions went from being a lot of fun to being the most annoying aspect of the game.
Invasions are when Rifts begin taking over the area you're in. You have 3-5 objectives, which always include,  Defending Wardstones, which are these rock formations that have health points in areas you get quests in; killing a certain number of invaders, which are groups of mobs that spawn from Rifts; and closing a number of Rifts. This is doable with about 10 or more people. The number of invasions can get pretty bad, and if all three Wardstones fall, then its game over.
I level a lot at night. I spend my days at school and my evenings trying to play, but usually caught up in homework. I stay up late and level around 9-12. It's when our shard's population dips to Low and thanks to awesome Invasions, it begins to droll out on my patience. Invasion mobs easily begin overwhelming the Wardstones. One person cannot defeat them alone, and even if I'm careful, and have the NPCs on my side, I tend to pull aggro from all the groups, which end up being over 9 mobs, and 3 of those mobs tend to be the stronger leaders. The other problem is how far the Wardstones are from one another. They're usually on opposite sides, making travel between them difficult, and leaving the wardstones up for falling. Because the Wardstones are in questing areas, I can't turn in quests. Once a wardstone falls, the mobs stay in the area, making it difficult to defeat them all.
This wouldn't be too annoying, considering that it is late, but I wish there was an off button for areas with low populations. Every time one starts, I immediately know I'm screwed. Usually, I just log off, not wanting to deal with the coming irritation. But it's not just late at night. I've had multiple invasion fails during prime times, when we've had 10-15 people in a raid, yet we still fail. It's very annoying.
Other Rift Problems
Questing is incredibly linear. No different racial starting areas, no different places to level for overlapping levels, no separate continents. So leveling alts isn't appealing at all. I don't really find the Guardian starting areas interesting either.  
Remedies?
I'm at the moment downloading the Lord of the Rings Online, simply because it's free to play and running around Middle Earth sounds like it would be fun for a little bit.
I am not going to return to WoW. I have no desire to, despite the fact that I do miss certain aspects of the game. I miss the variety of areas to level and the alts I can have. I miss my druid, and I miss UI building. But heaven knows, I've done it all, and I know once I go back, I'll immediately lose interest and waste 15 bucks.
I think Rift can hold my attention well enough, but it feels tiring fast, and I wonder if I'll ever find a game like WoW, that captured my attention with it's magic from the very first moment I logged in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment