Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rift Part 2: Levels 1-11: Mage v. Cleric

I would be a higher level, but I can't decide whether I wanna do Cleric or Mage. Obviously from the title, I am a huge healer, so being a Cleric seemed like a no brainer. The other thing I would like though is a range dps, and while Cleric offers a range dps option, they weren't as fun as the Mages options. Now why am I even considering a Mage?
Chloromancer.
Mage offers one Healing soul (and two other supportive souls), Chloromancer. A Chloromancer uses dots and spells that give healing for the damage it does to the mob. That in itself sounds so interesting and fun to dabble with.
But as I went on to level 10 on my Mage, I realized I wanted more choices on how to heal.
I had tried out, during my little trial, a Cleric and was leveling the recommended spec of Druid/Shaman. It's a melee combination and I personally don't like melee. So that's what originally had turned me off from Cleric. You can try range dps in Cabotlist/Inquisitor, but I died a lot and found myself behind when trying to kill mobs.
In the end, I will probably level both, but I'm going to stick with Cleric for now. Again, I love healing, so it's probably better to go with the healing class for now. I hope to level a Mage soon though.
Rifts Rifts Rifts
I've done many minor Rifts and one invasion/Major Rift. I can see what the hooplah is about with the Major Rifts. They're so massive and it's kind of fun seeing everyone appear to work together. Public Group is the most brilliant thing ever; being able to press a button and enter a massive group instead of trying to figure out whose leader and hopefully get an invite.
The problem with Rifts is that it does take a good spiral of space, usually where you want to level at. You have to clear it to continue on. The Major Rifts completely take over the area, and while they're a lot of fun to do, I found that after some time, I wanted to continue on with quests. You have to have people, and I was lucky we had a few people around this morning. Last night, I found myself fighting minor Rifts alone, so I wonder what would happen if a Major Rift open and noone was really on.  I noticed a small timer on it, but it was well over an hour and half.
Rifts are about as bad as farming for herbs. You see one, you gotta go run and close it. I found myself on late last night, thinking, okay, I need to log off. Oh, a Rift...Must...Close....
I think my leveling speed was slowed because I was closing Rifts (they give experience, but I think quests are the best way in the end)
Oh, what's this button do?...oh right, the same thing it does in WoW
The controls, the UI, the controls...Everything is nearly identical and it's scary. I was talking with some friends last night, and we were pretty unanimous in agreeing that we like RIFT because it's like WoW. We didn't want to leave WoW, but we just lost that drive. Now we have RIFT to fill that void, and it's basically WoW.
I hope to get my boyfriend to play
But he's happy to be back playing console games and catching up on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment